- 3 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs (about 1 pound)
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces thick-cut bacon, cut crosswise into 1″ pieces (about 3 strips)
- 3 ounces country-style bread, sliced 3/4″ thick, torn into misshapen 1″ pieces (about 2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, divided
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh shelled or frozen peas (2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups trimmed escarole or frisée, torn into small pieces (about 3 ounces)
- 1/2 small fennel bulb, cored, thinly sliced
- 2 medium radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup mint leaves, torn if large
- Arrange a rack in center of oven; preheat to 475ºF. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Using kitchen shears, remove bones, keeping skin and flesh intact; discard bones. Season chicken all over with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper.
- Heat a medium cast-iron or heavy ovenproof skillet over medium-high until hot but not smoking. Sear chicken skin side down, undisturbed, 2 minutes. Continue to cook, turning occasionally, until fat renders and skin is golden brown, 4–6 minutes more. Transfer chicken to a plate. Carefully pour off all but 2 tsp. fat and wipe off any fat that drips onto side or bottom of skillet. Return chicken to skillet skin side up. Transfer to oven and roast chicken, tenting skillet with foil if skin becomes too dark halfway through, until skin crisps and meat is cooked through, 8–12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until just crispy, 4–5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a large heatproof bowl. Pour off all but 2 Tbsp. fat. Heat fat in skillet over medium. Add bread in an even layer, season with a pinch of salt and pepper, and cook, turning pieces occasionally, until golden brown and crisp, 3–4 minutes. Remove from heat; add 1 Tbsp. vinegar and toss until absorbed. Let cool a few minutes, then taste and season with more salt and pepper, if needed. Transfer croutons to bowl with bacon.
- Remove chicken from oven and transfer to a plate; reserve skillet with fat and pan drippings. Let chicken cool 5–10 minutes, then cut into 1″ pieces.
- Cook shallot, peas, 1/8 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. pepper in reserved skillet over medium-low heat, stirring, until shallots are softened and peas are cooked, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in oil and remaining 2 Tbsp. vinegar (mixture will bubble) with a heatproof spatula. (If you want to ensure bright green peas, cook them separately in a small saucepan of boiling water or in the microwave and sprinkle over top of salad after plating.)
- Add escarole, fennel, and radishes to bowl with bacon and croutons. Pour warm dressing over. Toss to combine and slightly wilt greens.
- Mound salad among plates; nestle in chicken pieces. Top with mint. Serve immediately.
Cooks’ NoteA splatter guard helps keep your stovetop clean when searing chicken thighs.