For easy, hands-off dinner prep, throw the ingredients for this hearty chili into your slow cooker, or create a freezer packet that’s slow cooker–ready any time you please.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 medium jalapeño, seeded, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 (4-ounce) cans diced green chiles, preferably “fire-roasted”
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, preferably white, plus more
- 6 cups homemade chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, preferably “fire-roasted”
- 3 (15-ounce) cans white beans, preferably cannellini, white kidney, or Great Northern, drained, rinsed
- Sour cream, cilantro, lime wedges, and cornbread (for serving)
- If making immediately, combine chicken, onions, jalapeño, garlic, chiles, cumin, coriander, 3 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper in slow cooker. Pour chicken stock over, cover, and cook on high 4 hours or low 6–8 hours.
- If making a freezer packet to cook later, place chicken, onions, jalapeño, garlic, chiles, cumin, coriander, 3 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper in gallon-size bag; toss to combine. Place corn in quart-size bag, then place inside larger bag. Seal and freeze up to 3 months.
- Transfer chicken mixture to slow cooker; return corn to freezer. Pour chicken stock over, cover, and cook on high 4 hours or low 6–8 hours.
- To finish chili (whether fresh or frozen), add beans and corn during the last 30 minutes of cooking; cover and cook on high 30 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed. Shred chicken in slow cooker with 2 forks.
- Divide chili among bowls; top with sour cream and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and cornbread alongside.