Freeze smaller portions of this versatile, flavorful shredded chicken and you’ll be so glad you did. It’s the perfect base to build any meal—tacos, fried rice, hearty soups, pastas, barbecue chicken sandwiches, or anything else your heart desires.
- 4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 medium onions, peeled, halved with root intact
- 1 head of garlic, unpeeled, rinsed, halved crosswise
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon (or more) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon (or more) freshly ground black pepper
- Mix chicken, onions, garlic, bay leaves, broth, salt, and pepper in a slow cooker. Cover and cook until chicken shreds easily when pierced with a fork, about 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- Remove chicken from liquid and shred with a fork; taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed. Strain stock through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium bowl; discard vegetables. Store chicken and broth together or separately.