This easy, slow-cooked chili is not your average “bowl of red.” With chicken, sweet potatoes, tomatillo salsa, and pinto beans, it’s more of a cross between chile verde (usually made with pork) and white chicken chili. Just a few ingredients and effortless prep gives you a flavorful and satisfying “bowl of green.”
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 large sweet potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1″ cubes (about 2 pounds)
- 1 (16-ounce) jar tomatillo salsa (salsa verde) (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons (or more) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon (or more) freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cans low-sodium pinto beans, drained, rinsed
- Sliced avocado, cilantro leaves, sour cream, and/or finely chopped onion (for serving; optional)
- Mix chicken, potatoes, salsa, broth, cumin, salt, and pepper in slow cooker. Cover and cook until chicken shreds easily with a fork and sweet potatoes are tender, about 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low. Add beans during last 30 minutes of cooking. Shred chicken in slow cooker with 2 forks. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed. Serve topped with avocado, cilantro, sour cream, and/or onion, if using.
Cooks’ NoteThis chili can be prepared on the stovetop in a Dutch oven or large pot. Bring to a simmer and cook, covered, over medium-low heat until chicken shreds easily with a fork and sweet potatoes are tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Add beans during the last 30 minutes of cooking.