Chicken, eggplant, tomatoes, and red onion all get marinated in the same richly spiced coconut milk, then divided onto skewers by ingredient to ensure each is grilled to the optimal doneness—no overcooking the chicken because you’re waiting for the onions to cook.
- 4 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 (3″) piece ginger, finely grated
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 3 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed, cut into 1 1/2″ cubes
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1 1/2″ cubes
- 1 small red onion, cut into 2″ pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- Canola or vegetable oil (for grill)
- Naan or flatbread, cilantro, lime wedges, and plain yogurt (for serving)
- Whisk garlic, ginger, coconut milk, lime zest and juice, tomato paste, salt, turmeric, cayenne, and cardamom in a large bowl. Transfer half of marinade to another large bowl. Add chicken to 1 bowl of marinade; toss to coat. Add eggplant, onion, and tomatoes to the other bowl; toss to coat. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
- Thread each ingredient onto its own set of skewers: divide chicken among 6 skewers, tomatoes among 4, eggplant among 3, and onion on 1.
- Prepare a grill or grill pan for high heat; generously oil grates. Grill skewers, turning often, until well charred and cooked through, about 5 minutes for tomatoes, 10 minutes for chicken, and 15 minutes for eggplant and onion.
- Just before serving, toast naan on grill until warmed through, about 2 minutes. Top grilled chicken and vegetables with cilantro and serve with naan, lime wedges, and yogurt alongside.