Developed for our #cook90 initiative, these cumin-spiced chicken thighs and potatoes are balanced by a zippy alternative to coleslaw. The recipe serves 4 tonight, or 2 with leftovers to make “Nextover” Chicken Tacos with Quick Refried Beans tomorrow.
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 3/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 12 ounces baby Yukon Gold potatoes, halved (about 2 cups)
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 2 pounds), trimmed of excess skin and fat, patted dry
- 2 1/2 cups very thinly sliced red cabbage (from about 1/4 medium cabbage)
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced red onion (about 1/4 onion)
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 1–2 tablespoons very thinly sliced jalapeño
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Place a rack in top third of oven; preheat to 425°F. Mix 1/4 cup oil, 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. cumin, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1 1/2 tsp. pepper in a large bowl. Add potatoes and toss to coat. Arrange potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet. Add chicken to bowl and toss to coat. Arrange skin side up on baking sheet in between potatoes.
- Roast chicken and potatoes, tossing potatoes halfway through, until potatoes are crispy, chicken skin is browned, and an instant-read thermometer inserted near bone registers 165°F, 30–35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss cabbage, onion, mint, and jalapeño in a large bowl. Cook vinegar, honey, and remaining 2 Tbsp. oil, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, and 1/4 tsp. cumin in a small saucepan over medium heat until warmed through. Pour hot dressing over cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Let sit until ready to use.
- If desired, reserve 4 chicken thighs and 1/2 cup slaw for “Nextover” Chicken Tacos with Quick Refried Beans.
- Divide remaining 4 chicken thighs, potatoes, and slaw among plates.